Facebook notifications can get increasingly aggressive but before you tame them, it’s necessary to distinguish between their different types. For instance, you should know what are Facebook push notifications and how it is different from in-app notifications. That way, you’ll find it easier to manage them.
What are Facebook push notifications and Facebook in-app notifications
As opposed to the Desktop version, when you download the Facebook app on your Smartphone, Facebook may choose to send you two types of mobile notifications namely,
- Facebook Push notifications – These are short pop-up messages sent when a user is not actively using Facebook (e.g. on the device’s lock screen). How frequently Facebook sends the Push notifications will strictly depend on the user behavior, and the user trends.
- Facebook In-app notifications – Appear as numbers over the Notifications in Facebook’s navigation. So, these messages are visible only when you’re using Facebook on a Desktop or seen inside the Facebook app on your phone. The main difference between the two notification types is that, unlike Facebook Push Notifications, you can’t turn off in-app notifications completely. You can, however, choose what you get notified about.
How to manage Facebook Push Notifications
When not managed properly, Push Notifications can easily overwhelm users and inadvertently force them to unsubscribe. However, we do not recommend such an extreme step since these notifications have an important role to play. They help in providing people with timely and important information, whether the device is locked or in use. We have already covered a bit about What are Facebook push notifications. Now, let us see how to control their settings.
- Open your News Feed
- Tap menu.
- Choose Settings and privacy.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Notification settings.
- From here, tap to adjust how you receive notifications.
- Choose what you get notified about.
Let us cover the process in a bit more detail!
Adjust your push notifications on mobile
Open your Facebook News Feed page. Select the Menu icon at the bottom of the screen (3 horizontal bars).
Scroll down to the Settings & Privacy heading, choose the Settings tab.
Under the Preferences section, tap the Notifications heading.
If you would like to mute push notifications, slide the toggle to
Off position. However, Facebook may still send you important notifications about your content. Similarly, to adjust your Facebook Push Notifications related to Comments, Tags, Reminders, etc, tap the desired heading.
Next, slide the toggle next to the Push heading to the Off position.
Adjust your Push notifications on the Desktop version
Hit the Account drop-down menu, select Settings & privacy > Settings.
Under the Settings side panel, scroll down to the Notifications section.
Hit the drop-down button next to any heading to manage your Push Notifications settings.
Disable the Push Notifications for the related heading.
How to Turn off your push notifications in iOS
To adjust your mobile push notifications on your iPhone or iPad:
Open Settings > Notifications, then tap Facebook.
Move the toggle next to Allow notifications’ to the off position.
That’s all you need to know about what are Facebook push notifications and how to manage them on your devices.