The second-generation Apple Pencil supports tap gestures you can use to speed up certain actions on your iPad. for example, you can quickly switch between the drawing tool and eraser by enabling the Apple Pencil double-tap action. So, if your day-to-day Pencil use involves marking up photos or annotating some PDF files in large numbers, enabling the double-tap customization options is something you should be looking for.
How to customize Apple Pencil double-tap action for your iPad
If you are in the Notes app or some other third-party app that supports Apple Pencil double-tap action, you can easily switch between the writing tool or eraser. Simply double-tap the Pencil tip while writing a handwritten note.
- Unlock your iPad
- Launch the Settings app.
- Go to Apple Pencil.
- Tap the Apple Pencil entry.
- Set the ‘double tap’ gesture to the desired option.
Note – The double-tap gesture works with 2nd generation Apple Pencils only.
Apple Pencil Double-Tap settings
Apple’s Notes app works well with the new double-tap feature. All you need to do is go to the Settings app.
Then, scroll down to locate the Apple Pencil entry. When found, tap it to open the Apple Pencil Settings panel.
Here, set your desired Apple Pencil preferences in the new Settings panel. You’ll have four options to choose from namely,
- Switch Between Current Tool and Eraser – already set as default.
- Switch Between Current Tool and Last Used – Let’s swap between the existing tool in use and the last used tool.
- Show Color Palette – Let’s you choose from several drawing tools and colors, useful for painting apps.
- Off – If you have difficulty using the gestures for Apple Pencil (2nd generation) on supported iPad models, this option disables the feature.
That’s how you can speed up certain actions on your iPad using the double-tap gesture of Apple Pencil.
Hope that makes sense!